Do you ever make things because they are all over the net? I don’t normally follow trends maybe because I can’t seem to get myself in gear and buy the ingredients I don’t have in the pantry but I don’t think so. I’ve never been a trendy person.
I’m someone who’ll buy something classic and know it will be with me forever. At least that’s what I tell myself but yesterday I caved in.
All over Pinterest I saw these flourless chocolate cookies and I’d just made ice cream for John and Rob. (I needed to make ice cream to use up the fresh strawberries that were nearing the end of their life – so need is probably suspect.) I had 5 egg whites just sitting there going begging and all I had to add was icing (confectioner’s) sugar and cocoa and chocolate chips.
Alas, all I had was white chocolate chips so that’s what we ended up with. The verdict? “They’re okay but they should be crunchier,” Rob said. I thought they were just fine but I don’t think they live up to their hype.
There is nothing wrong with them and they couldn’t be easier to make. I think I’d prefer some made with almond or other nut meal to give them some oomph.
Have you tried them? What did you think?
- 3 cups icing sugar (confectioner’s sugar) sifted
- ⅔ cup dark cocoa (or any cocoa will do)
- large pinch of salt
- 1 to 1½ cups chocolate chips (semi-sweet or white)
- 4 large egg whites
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl, then add the chocolate chips
- Add the egg whites and mix with a spatula until well combined. If they are too runny, add some icing sugar. (I had to add nearly ¼ cup more.)
- Place by double tablespoon on baking paper lined baking tray
- Bake for 14 minutes and see how you like them. These were just a bit crunchy.
Finally, I must say a huge thank you to Charlie Louie, Lorraine, Tania, Claire and Celia. When they found out I had a bit of an issue with the ticker, they sent me a wonderful gift and today Celia sent me some of her fantastic dark chocolate. She’s a marvel with anything in the kitchen but most especially with bread and chocolate. I got some Queensland cane Toads and some chocolate tickets. I’ve already eaten a frog and I’m much better already.