Beef Pad Thai from Yummy Thai in Buderim

Yummy Thai

by Maureen on April 22, 2012

Last week we were invited out to try a Thai restaurant by some new friends I met on Twitter.  They’re a local couple starting a new business of gourmet cotton candy, fairy floss or spun sugar, depending upon which part of the world you live in.  Think cotton candy meets jelly bellies with flavors like coffee, mocha, strawberry and macadamia nut or rose petal.  Their new company name is Spun Fairy Floss and I think they’re on to a winner. They gave me a few samples and I was in sugar heaven.  Once their business gets up and running, you should try some.

Owner/Chef at Yummy Thai in BrisbaneThe restaurant is named Yummy Thai and is owned by a young couple who have owned it for 4 years.  The restaurant is NOT on the beaten path but lordy it should be.  The food was SO good.

Only after we’d finished eating did our friend Paul tell us that Chef Hiran had previously worked as a chef at the Sofitel in Bangkok as well as a couple of other high class eateries in Bangkok.  Those places only hire the best and it was obvious from every bite we took.

I can’t wait to go again and I’ve talked my next door neighbours into going with us this week.

Thai Satay Chicken Skewer

This was a Wednesday night and nobody wanted to go home stuffed to the gills as Thursday morning would come early.  We started by sharing a chicken satay appetizer with a bit of beer and wine we brought with us.  Beer or wine are not served but bring your own and there is NO corkage fee.  (amazing, right?)

The restaurant is in the middle of a pretty dead strip mall WELL off the beaten track in Buderim.  It’s only about 8 minutes from where we live so it’s not difficult to find if you have the address and directions but you’d never find it driving around looking for a place to eat.

I’ll be brutally honest here.  I wasn’t expecting much out of this dining experience.  I was thrilled to be making new friends, but…  The exterior of the shopping center isn’t the most inviting and the decor is rather utilitarian but that’s where the negativity ends, my friends.

At the very first mouthful I couldn’t have been more pleased.  There were four good sized pieces of chicken, enough to get anyone’s appetite started.  The chicken was tender and juicy and the satay sauce was a delightful blend of rich,  sweet and spicy..  Satay chicken is one of my favorite Thai dishes but I’m often disappointed but not this time!

We ate family style with everything plopped in the middle of the table.  It’s the best way to eat I think.  We all get several different things to enjoy.

Beef Pad Thai from Yummy Thai in Buderim

The first dish was Beef Pad Thai and the flavours were perfectly balanced and I could have eat every bite of this dish.  The ingredients were really fresh.  For those wishing a bit more heat, they kindly left a small bowl  of diced chilies.  I didn’t need them as the spiciness was perfect for me — enough to make my lips tingle and my heart to sing.

Thai Duck Curry

The Thai Duck Curry was the hit of the night for me.  The curry sauce is absolutely heavenly.  The sweetness perfectly balanced the rich spiciness of the sauce.  This was the dish our friends told us we must try and they were not wrong.

Thai Seafood Salad

John’s choice was the seafood salad and after the first forkful he was grinning form ear to ear.   It was filled with the classic flavours of Thai dishes, sweet, sour, salty and spicy.  It was a delicious tangle of mixed seafood, kaffir lime, spring onions, tomatoes, coriander and a lovely Thai dressing.

Thai Seafood Salad

Surprisingly, the most expensive dish was the duck curry at $17.50 and the 4 of us couldn’t eat all the food in the dishes.  The bill for the table was under $65.  Seriously.  Even McDonald’s comes close to that these days.  I suppose that’s the trade-off for being off the beaten track.

If you live on the Sunshine Coast or you’re traveling here on  holiday, please give Yummy Thai a try.  I’m certainly going back.

Yummy Thai
5/35 Oakmont Drive
Buderim Pines, QLD 4556
07 5309 6888
Open Tuesday through Sunday 4:30pm til late (Closed Mondays)

You might also like:

{ 54 comments… read them below or add one }

Lizzy April 22, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Yum… sounds wonderful… and I love Buderim! Such a beautiful part of the world.

Maureen April 22, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Lizzy, I had no idea you were familiar with our neck of the woods. Buderim is lovely. Great views from the hill looking out to the ocean. I’m on the flat bit on the canal.

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts April 22, 2012 at 5:30 pm

These dishes look great – so fresh and full of different ingredients. I hate it when you get a dish that is all noodles or whatever. None of that here!
Kari @ bite-sized thoughts recently posted..Chocolatey chocolate cake

Choc Chip Uru April 22, 2012 at 7:49 pm

The Thai food looks exquisite here! I think this calls for a definite trip to QLD ;)

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru
Choc Chip Uru recently posted..Anyone For A High Tea?

Parsley Sage April 22, 2012 at 9:41 pm

That is definitely some yummy Thai! That duck soup looks fabulous

Norma Chang April 22, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Everything looks fresh and delicious, great combination of dishes.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 22, 2012 at 10:08 pm

It sounds like a serendipitously lovely find Maureen! And no corkage too? That’s a surprise!

Maureen April 22, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Lorraine, I need to go back and re-read every restaurant review you’ve ever done. This was my first toe dipping in writing a review and I hemmed and hawed about whether I could pull it off.

Hotly Spiced April 22, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Buderim! Unbelievable. What excellent looking Thai food. It looks fresh, varied and full of flavour. I think the duck curry would have been my favourite dish too. When next in Queensland… xx

Maureen April 22, 2012 at 10:50 pm

I believe it’s called Buderim Pines. You have to go through a couple of neighbourhoods, around a roundabout, down a big hill and then there’s this little place. Rent must be very good. :)

Eileen April 22, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Looks delicious Maureen. Tell your friends not to forget to make maple cotton candy – it’s so good!!
Eileen recently posted..Old-Fashioned Molasses Cookies

Maureen April 23, 2012 at 3:59 pm

OMG.. that does sound good!

Monet April 23, 2012 at 1:15 am

So happy to have stumbled on your blog this morning. These look delicious! I love the vibrant colors in your pictures too! I wish I was eating here tonight. I hope you have a wonderful Sunday. Enjoy your week!

Maureen April 23, 2012 at 3:59 pm

So nice to meet you, Monet!

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook April 23, 2012 at 1:27 am

Nice you got to meet up with new friends and find a great place to eat. Everything looks fantastic! I’d love to try the duck curry.
Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook recently posted..Barley and Mushrooms

Maureen April 23, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Carol, if you make it to the Sunshine Coast of Australia, I’ll treat you to duck curry!

Sawsan@chef in disguise April 23, 2012 at 5:29 am

I have only recently started my love affair with Thai food and can only imagine what a feast this dinner must have been

Maureen April 23, 2012 at 3:58 pm

It WAS a feast and one I am eager to repeat :)

Katherine Martinelli April 23, 2012 at 6:59 am

Mmm this meal sounds amazing! I love being pleasantly surprised like this.

anh@anhsfoodblog.com April 23, 2012 at 8:54 am

I LOVE Thai food! Always look for some good recs when travelling! Thank you!

Genevieve Loxley April 23, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Hi Maureen
lets go back this week???? its my favorite restaurant on the coast ,we eat there so often we have become good friends with Haran, Aon and there daughter eyez, tomorrow we get tho meet there youngest daughter, she has just arrived today from Thailand to live in Australia, how wonderful for Aon to have her family all together again, We LOVE YUMMY THAI

Maureen April 23, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I’d love to but I thought Paul was working late every night :)

FiSh April 23, 2012 at 1:11 pm

yummy pad thai :) love the hint of sour and spiciness

Latest: FiSh Castle

Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen April 23, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Ray, it is lovely to know that such great food exists at a price that doesn’t require a second mortgage. The food looks great and I could certainly tuck into that seafood salad.

Maureen April 23, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Oh you make me laugh often :) I kind of like the name Ray :) That’s what happens when you have forty eleven windows open. (not that I have ever done that myself)

Hester @ Alchemy in the Kitchen April 23, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Oops – talking to someone while typing, Maureen, and getting too old to multitask! I know you haven’t changed your name to Ray! :)

Roberta April 23, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Your description and pictures are making me drool all over my computer. Looks and sounds fantastic. Isn’t it nice when you find a great restaurantt so close to home!

And oh! BTW….I use extra sour cream on my potato too! :)

Amanda April 23, 2012 at 9:17 pm

It’s always a joy to find genuine culinary gems behind modest shop fronts. Of course it doesn’t happen a lot and we all get used the resultant disappointment so I can imagine your excitement.

Sissi April 24, 2012 at 12:15 am

Everything looks so luscious! I love Thai food, especially when it’s very very hot!

Lisa April 24, 2012 at 12:21 am

I love this post because it gives me a link to cool cotton candy flavors (why didn’t I think of that a la jelly belly? lol) and loads of mouth-watering Thai dishes to look at. Some of the best food I’ve ever eaten has been at places off the beaten path or not publicized to death – always love those hidden treasures. What a great experience and great review, Maureen!
Lisa recently posted..Crunchy Coconut Lime Chicken Strips for SRC, and Part 9

Sandra's Easy Cooking April 24, 2012 at 1:27 am

Delicious looking food! I wish I was closer….

kitchenriffs April 24, 2012 at 2:03 am

Nice review. A little too distant for me to try, alas, but fun to read! It’s interesting about restaurants in dinky little strip shopping malls – often they’re just dreadful, but I’ve eaten in some amazing places as well. That old cliche about not judging a book by its cover certainly applies here. Anyway, fun post – thanks.

Karriann April 24, 2012 at 3:48 am

Wish I could dine there. Enjoyed reading your review :)

“Spice it Up”

Suzie April 24, 2012 at 4:08 am

Don’t you love when you find a special “secret” place to eat, that not many know about? The food looks terrific and I’ll have what your hubby had :)

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking April 24, 2012 at 4:28 am

Everything looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing, Maureen.

Kitchen Belleicious April 24, 2012 at 5:16 am

oh it sounds out of this world!

Rhonda April 24, 2012 at 5:53 am

The food looks delicious and you did such a great job describing it!

Steve @ the black peppercorn April 24, 2012 at 10:01 am

some of those pics have me drooling! And the special candy floss sounds awesome!!!
Steve @ the black peppercorn recently posted..Lemon Roasted Potatoes – Greek Style

Baker Street April 24, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I love love love thai food. I wish I could just hop over for a meal.
Baker Street recently posted..Muffin Monday: Sugar Crusted Raspberry Lemon Muffins

Baking Serendipity April 24, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I love when restaurants prove to be surprisingly delicious :) This flavored cotton candy thing sounds.so.good. Seriously! I can’t believe I haven’t heard of it before…they are definitely on to something unbelievable!
Baking Serendipity recently posted..Truffle Oil and Parmesan Popcorn

Joanne April 24, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I love thai food and hearing about this meal definitely made me crave it!
Joanne recently posted..Recipe: Vegetable and Rice Burritos with Quesadilla Cheese

The Café Sucré Farine April 24, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Now I really wishing we lived near each other! This looks totally amazing! I’m in love with Thai food along with just about anything Asian!

yummychunklet April 24, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Wow. That looks like delicious food. Yum!

Jen @ Tartine and Apron Strings April 24, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Thai is my fave cuisine because of the many layers of spices and herbs that make complex and nuanced flavours! I am definitely due for a Thai feast!

Sofie Dittmann @thegermanfoodie April 25, 2012 at 1:02 am

That would be “Zuckerwatte” in German, and when I was little, it was one of my favorite treats at fun fairs – but only if it’s freshly made. Oh, and the Thai food looks wonderful!
Sofie Dittmann @thegermanfoodie recently posted..A Southern-Inspired Dinner Party – Part I

Sanjeeta KK April 25, 2012 at 1:11 am

Love the freshness of all the veggies used here..need to explore Thai food more!
Sanjeeta KK recently posted..Recipes | Spinach Rolls & Instant Savory Cake – Two Healthy Snacks with Chickpea Flour

SarahKate (Mi Casa-Su Casa) April 25, 2012 at 2:13 am

Isn’t it great to find great food in unexpected places?? That food all looks wonderful. I love the freshness and spice of proper Thai food.

Asmita April 25, 2012 at 2:27 am

We love Thai food. I could eat it everyday for breakfast, lunch and dinner. No kidding!
This food looks so DELICIOUS!!!

Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb April 25, 2012 at 3:18 am

Never judge a book by its cover, right? The place, as u described it, might not look like a 5 star but if u say that the food was amazing, then I ll trust u blindly.

Honestly I hadnt had the chance to try out much thai in my life, but the few dishes I had were much enjoyed. I think so I am going to check out some thai dishes now…. =)

Reem | Simply Reem April 25, 2012 at 4:18 am

Oh This look wonderful!!
I love Thai food… everything here looks wonderful…
Thanks for sharing Maureen

Chopinand @ ChopinandMysaucepan April 25, 2012 at 7:42 am

Dear Maureen,

Looks like a good find because Sydney is flooded with Thai, some really great ones and some very average ones too. Hello, no corkage!

Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) April 26, 2012 at 5:49 am

those thai dishes look seriously amazing! i’m now craving thai…

FiSh April 30, 2012 at 1:18 am

i havent try duck curry before :) that sounds interesting
FiSh recently posted..Ikuzo Ramen @ SS2, Petaling Jaya

Kitchen Butterfly May 8, 2012 at 5:46 am

Oh, hungry, I am. I LOVE Thai flavours – the freshness, the heat, the spice and herbiness….. What fun