This post is all about my chicken breasts served with a pistachio gorgonzola sauce but first a peek at what winter is like where I live.
It was a glorious winter day on the Sunshine Coast. John’s dad asked if we could go out and take some photos to send to his friends because it was such a beautiful day. We went to Mooloolaba (muh LOO la ba) 10 minutes from home and stopped on the esplanade for food. In our group, Charlie was the most excited. The look on his face was priceless when we stopped the car in the parking lot and I reached for his leash and opened the door.
“You mean I don’t have to wait in the car???” We never leave him in the car alone but sometimes he has to wait with one of us and this time he got to go.
Only recently our local government has relaxed their ban on allowing dogs to sit at outdoor tables. He thought that was very cool. You could almost hear him thinking, “So this is what they do when they leave me at home?” If you were thinking he was a poor mistreated dog, he does have a hair appointment on Tuesday. He’ll have feet instead of slippers.
Are you SURE there’s nothing for me?
You can certainly tell which folks are on vacation and which folks live here. Tourists are all in shorts and sandals in contrast to we locals who take every opportunity to wear our winter clothes. It’s August and spring arrives in September.
We were out til nearly dark o’clock but I had dinner planned in my head. Recently I had a chicken dish at a local restaurant, Cala Luna, that I’d been eager to try myself. I didn’t nail it so we’ll be having this again. This is good, and it could be orgasmic but I’d make some changes and I’ll share those when I make it again if I like it better.
I know, I know, I should have chopped the pistachios. I like whole pistachios so I left them whole but the decision at the table was that I had been dumb. Roughly chopped pistachios next time!
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1½ cups panko crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup seasoned flour
- 2½ cups cream
- 80 grams gorgonzola cheese – preferably the crumbly one
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven 180C/350F
- Place chicken breasts in flour seasoned with salt and pepper, shake off excess and dip in beaten egg and roll in a mixture of seasoned bread crumbs and panko.
- In a heated skillet with a bit of oil, cook chicken until golden brown and then place on a baking tray and place in the oven for 20 minutes. (if your chicken is fairly large, cook longer – nothing worse that under or overdone chicken)
- Add cream to a sauce pan and bring to the boil and boil until the cream is nearly as thick as a white sauce.
- Remove from the heat and add the gorgonzola, parmesan salt and pepper.
- Whisk until all the cheese has melted and then toss in the chopped pistachios.