Raisin Bread and Lemon Curd

Raisin Bread with Lemon Curd

by Maureen on May 22, 2012

On Sunday morning my friend Deb invited me for coffee.  I never go out for coffee because I’m always working. I went this time because I work from home and sometimes I really miss girly talk.  I can talk to John but I can get as much reaction from talking to the wall if he’s got some programming thing he’s trying to sort out in the background.  Men can’t do two things at once.

Deb and I went to a lovely cafe on Lake Kawana and sat outside facing the beach and the lake.  There were mums and dads and kids everywhere with kids playing in the sand, two little boys fishing from the pontoon, skateboarders and people eating and people walking the path around the lake.  It was an idyllic setting.  Did I take photos?  No, I was out for fun with a friend, but I when I decided to make the raisin bread with lemon curd I went back and took a photo for you.

Lake Kawana

I had Charlie in the car with me – he loves to go in the car – so I thought, maybe I should swing by the beach on the way home and toss the ball for him.  We get to the beach and there’s NO ball in the car, just the empty thrower thing. (I need a thrower because I throw like a girl I’m told.)  Not to be outdone, I decided there must be a driftwood stick we could use.

Charlie at the Buddine Beach Charlie Before Stick

We looked for about 3 minutes and we found an old piece of bamboo about 1 1/2 feet wide.  Perfect.  I tossed, he ran.  He didn’t bring it back.  It took about 5 minutes to teach him that a stick worked like a ball.

Charlie With His Stick Charlie After Stick

It was a lovely winter afternoon at the beach.  There were a few dogs and a few surfers and that was about it.

Buddina Beach

Now where was I?   Oh yes, at Lake Kawana with Deb.  We ordered coffee and with it we had some fruit bread with lemon curd.  Why they call it fruit bread when it’s nothing but raisin or sultana bread I don’t know but maybe it just sounds classier.  It was a perfect Sunday breakfast by the lake.

I got up this morning thinking that maybe I should make it for John.  He doesn’t have a very large sweet tooth but every once in a while something hits and he’s happy to dig in.  One of those days was today.

Lemon Curd

I made a lovely raisin bread that I got from Nick Malgieri that was really delicious.  Then I made the now famous lemon curd from Cafe Terra Blog and Big Fat Baker.  I love this stuff. When I was in the states we called it lemon butter but whatever the name, I can’t get enough.  The only thing I did differently was to make it in my Thermomix.  I know that’s probably cheating but seriously it takes no time at all.

Lemon Curd Made in a Thermomix

This recipe is a dump everything in the machine, set to 90°C for 7 minutes and bam, it’s done.  Put it in jars a let it cool, then keep it in the fridge IF there is any left to keep in the fridge.

Thermomix Recipe for Lemon Curd

5.0 from 12 reviews
Thermomix Recipe for Lemon Curd

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

This is a famous recipe from Cafeterrablog.com and bigfatbaker.com - I just adapted it to my Thermomix
Author:
Recipe type: Condiment
Cuisine: English
Serves: 12
Ingredients
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 80 grams butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • ⅔ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 3 ordinary sized lemons)
  • zest of one lemon
Instructions
  1. Place lemons in the microwave for 25 seconds and then roll under your hand to get the most juice.
  2. Zest one lemon (I used a microplane just because I think it's easiest)
  3. Place the sugar and zest in the Thermomix and mill for 6 seconds at speed 10
  4. Add the remainder of the ingredients and set at 90C for 7 minutes.
  5. Pour into jars.

You might also like:

{ 102 comments… read them below or add one }

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 24, 2012 at 7:28 am

Awww look at Charlie’s face! How could anyone resist it? Gorgeous looking bread and curd Maureen! :D

Australian Macadamias May 24, 2012 at 8:25 am

Yum that looks so good – always inspiring!!

Maureen May 24, 2012 at 8:53 am

Thanks so much! I’m making your macadamia tart today from your website recipe collection. I hope it turns out!

Roberta May 24, 2012 at 11:19 am

Great recipes. But I am too lzy to fdo that much work….machines and all; which I don’t have in any event.
But loved the pictures of the cafe on Lake Kawana, the beach, but especially Charlie. He is so cute. Just darling. And the story about having to teach him a stick and ball can both be fetched is a hoot.

You should write more about non cooking topics. You are very good. :)

Treat and Trick May 24, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Such a great pair! The lemon curd looks so smooth and inviting!

Raji May 24, 2012 at 3:20 pm

The pictures look gorgeous Maureen and the lemon curd looks really inviting. Charlie is so adorable.

rebecca May 25, 2012 at 6:23 am

wow great lemon curd and bread and cute dog and lovely beach great post

Elaine May 25, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I love, love raisin bread and will have to check out Nick Malgieri’s recipe. I have some lemon curd in the freezer (just made it for the first time about a month ago), but I do want to try this recipe next time. It looks so creamy and delicious. Your photos are beautiful and so is your dog, Charlie.

Terra May 25, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Now I am hungry for lemon curd, LOL! Hmmmmm…maybe I should make some this weekend with my sweet Cousin:-) Your raisin bread looks fantastic:-) Charlie is so precious! Hugs, Terra

Maureen May 25, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Without your recipe I wouldn’t have made it the first time! Thanks again.

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama May 27, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Maureen, fantastic photos! Charlie is too cute! And this bread with curd looks scrumptious!!!!!!
Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama recently posted..Hub’s Beer Battered Fried Pickles

Monet May 27, 2012 at 11:27 pm

The bread looks so lovely, and Charlie is ADORABLE. Thank you for sharing with me…and reminding me of the importance of good bread, friends, and slowing down.

Joan Hayes@chocolate and more June 2, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Sounds like a perfect day at the beach to me! I’m going to have to check out this Thermomix, sounds like a wonderful machine! Just pop everything in and a few minutes later, lemony goodness.

Maureen June 2, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I love my Thermomix! I use it for something almost every day.

Joy June 5, 2012 at 9:53 am

Totally fallen in love with Charlie :-)
Joy recently posted..What to Drink at Your Barbecue

Maureen June 5, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Hi Joy, Charlie is pretty special. We rent him for outings to the beach if a ball is included. LOL (j/k)

Julie March 8, 2014 at 11:21 am

Wow! This recipe/foodie website is the best!!! The recipes are orgasmic and I love the
real world layout and story delivered with each recipe. I cant’t wait to try so any of these recipes; where do I begin…..I think with those beautiful sausage biscuits and the chicken,
pistachio gargonzola recipes. Thank you so very much for you all the work you put into
creating this wonderful website.

Best of luck !

Maureen March 8, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Julie! I think you’re my new best friend!!

Julie March 8, 2014 at 11:22 am